Our obsession with chalkboards started as little girls, as we played school together taking turns as teachers writing lessons on the chalkboard. Combined it is safe to say that we have over 10 chalkboards displayed in our homes! When we were contacted by Chalk This Way to review their Brilliant Bold and Earthy chalk markers, we knew it was the perfect fit! Some of our favorite seasonal, party and entertaining decor are chalkboard signs written with chalk markers. Chalkboard signs are inexpensive, can be re-used for multiple events and the best part is you can personalize messages to fit the occasion.
It is really great to be able to buy one pack with so many color options and they are competitive in price with local craft stores! You can even save money when buying multiple packs! One thing we really love about the Chalk This Way chalk markers as opposed to some other brands we have used is that the ink really looks chalky and not just like a marker. It looks more authentic on your chalkboard. We also found that these markers had low odor; you aren’t breathing in heavy fumes during normal use.
We really like the soft muted tones of the Earthy set. We haven’t seen chalk markers in these colors before. They would be perfect for fall party or wedding signage. They are a bit more elegant than your classic colors. Two of our favorites from this pack is the deep cranberry and sage green (they don’t name their colors, but that is how we would describe them ). Can’t wait to use them for Christmas signage this season. The Brilliant Bold colors give a nice pop of color for birthday parties or holidays. The classic white chalk marker came in both sets, which we loved because we tend to use that color the most. These sets would be a great gift for the crafters in your life! With Christmas right around the corner these would be perfect stocking stuffers!
Tried and True Tips:
- Make sure you shake the markers REALLY well before using them. If you don’t, it will come out as just greasy wet with no color. Always shake with the lid on!
- You have to push the tip into paper several times to get the color to drop down into the tip. Try to push more on the back of the tip instead of the front so that the tip doesn’t get smashed.
- Make sure to test markers on surface before use. They are not recommended on porous surfaces. (If you use them and something porous and it doesn’t come off you can just re-paint the surface with chalkboard spray paint)
- The markers come off better with water when you don’t wait too long to wipe it off. Directions say you can also erase with ammonia based cleaner.
- Don’t push tips too hard when writing. This will smash the tip. To get more color to the tip of your marker, shake every now and again in between writing your message. Again make sure to shake when the lid is on!
Check out some of the ways we used Chalk This Way chalk markers. You will see, the possibilities are truly endless! You can use these markers on chalkboards (including slate chalkboards), glass, plastics, mirrors, ceramics, metals and other hard non porous surfaces.
Seasonal signage and decor. The chalk markers worked really well on this slate chalkboard and cleaned very easily with a wet cloth.
Make signs for different activity stations at parties like we did here at our Fall Festival:
Parties galore! The possibilities are endless with this one. You could make chalkboard place-mats and let kids (and adults!) doodle. Or you could write out your menu or make chalkboard labels for food like Alisa did here for her husband’s 30th birthday party:
Marissa used the chalk markers to make a wreath to welcome guests to her son’s 2nd birthday party.
Monthly baby updates and yearly milestones: I (Marissa) took a picture of my little man each month for the first year with a chalkboard behind him documenting milestones. You could also do this with Baby bump pictures while you are pregnant documenting the weeks. I had a lot of fun doing this chalkboard for my son’s second birthday!
Leave messages or encouraging notes on your bathroom mirror for your spouse to read in the morning. This is sure to brighten their day! The chalk markers work great on mirrors. They wipe off REALLY easy on mirrors with glass cleaner.
Here are some other ways that you could use the markers for different projects:
- Signs for weddings…all things weddings really anything from seating charts to menus to signage on tables.
- You can show team pride by writing messages on your car (always test on a small area first!) like “Go Wildcats!” or “Great job Kelsey!”
- Use all the different colors on a black board instead of just plain old boring white when teaching or explaining things to your kiddos.
- Decorate your windows with your kids for the holidays by drawing fun pictures for the season.
- Label glazed pots with plant or herb names.
Be sure to check out other products by Chalk This Way like their Self-Adhesive Removable Chalkboard Labels.
Thank you Chalk This Way for providing us with the chalk markers! As always, all ideas and opinions are our own.