Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Supporting the Cause
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I’m sure nearly all of us have been affected by this devastating disease in some way or another, whether you or someone you know has or have had breast cancer. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. That is an astonishing number. Though rare, men are also diagnosed with this disease. The best way to reduce your risk of breast cancer or catch it in its early stage is to be educated, know your family history and perform monthly self exams. In fact, according to the National Cancer Institute, when breast cancer is detected early, in the localized stage the 5 year survival rate is 98%. So if you haven’t already, be sure to get checked and remind your loved ones too! Check your insurance coverage, as some plans don’t charge a co-pay for preventative office visits. Mark your calendar every month to remind you to do a self exam. To learn more about breast cancer screening and early detection, or to make a donation, here are a few resources you can visit: National Breast Cancer Foundation or Susan G. Komen. If you are someone you know is battling breast cancer we are praying for you. If you have a specific prayer request, please feel free to leave us a comment or send us an email.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I’ve rounded up some pink products that raise awareness for breast cancer and many of the companies give proceeds towards organizations that benefit breast cancer. What is better than shopping and supporting a wonderful cause?! These would make great Christmas gifts and stocking stuffers! Learn more about the products and find links below. Make sure you scroll all the way down to see some fitness products too.
1. essie Breast Cancer Awareness Mini Four Pack Nail Polish Set.
2. Stella & Dot Inspire Bracelet: 100% of the net proceeds through October benefit the Noreen Fraser Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for women’s cancers. Such a beautiful and feminine bracelet. I love the rose gold detail.
3. DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom Perfume Collection: The company is donating $15,000 of the proceeds of this product to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
4. Smashbox Be Legendary Lip Gloss: $5.00 from your purchase of this product will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. This is also a limited edition shade.
5. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer: $5.00 from your purchase of this product will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
6. EOS Limited Edition Breast Cancer Awareness Collection Lip Balm & Lotion 3-Pack: A portion of the proceeds will benefit breast cancer research.
7. JustFab’s Bon Bon Clutch in BC Pink: 100% of the proceeds will benefit the Susan G. Komen foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This clutch is adorable! It comes with a chain strap so you can also wear it over your shoulder. The inside is lined with a cute stripped fabric.
1. Under Armour Go Fight Cure Long Sleeve Tee: This tee can be found at Macy’s. They are currently offering 20% off if you donate $5.00 towards breast cancer awareness, research and education.
2. Yurbuds Women’s Inspire Earbuds: Found at Dick’s Sporting Goods who has donated $250,000 to The National Breast Cancer Foundation. (the link goes to the blue earbuds, but you can select the pink ones from this page).
3. Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity & Sleep Wristband: Found at Dick’s Sporting Goods who has donated $250,000 to The National Breast Cancer Foundation.
4. Nike Breast Cancer Awareness Wristbands: Found at Dick’s Sporting Goods who has donated $250,000 to The National Breast Cancer Foundation.
5. Under Armour Women’s Power In Pink Great Escape Shorts II: Under Armour’s Power In Pink is donating $10 Million to Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center to benefit breast health. Can also be found at Dick’s Sporting Goods.
6. New Balance Pink Ribbon 1765 Fitness Walkers: Through December 31, 2014, New Balance will contribute 5% of the MSRP of each product from their Lace Up for the Cure Collection to Susan G Komen with a minimum of $500,000 in 2014.
Go, Fight, Cure!