Mommy Monday: Beginning Pre-School Activities
Happy Monday to you all!!
I can’t believe my little guy will be two soon! Time goes by so fast! I am loving this stage. He is talking up a storm and his little brain is a sponge. I’ve started doing a few beginning pre-school activities with him. It has been so fun watching him learn new things. I just wanted to share a couple activities that we have been doing lately that my son has really enjoyed.
1. ABC Poster- I got this ABC poster from a friend and my son loves it! We use my pointer (from when I was a teacher!) and we sing the alphabet pointing to each letter. He already knows most of the song!! Then I ask him to find different letters based on the picture that goes with it. For example “Can you find B for ball?”
2. Transportation Puzzles- My mom got this “Things That Go” matching game at TJMaxx for $4.99 and my little guy loves it! It says 2+ but my son is 22 months and can do the whole thing. He loves finding the pieces that go together and then saying what the picture makes.
3. Counting- My little man loves to count to three and I’ve been working on teaching him one-to-one correspondence. (I talked about this in a past post where there is a link to a great website explaining this.) I have found that learning is so much more fun when it involves things that my little one enjoys….so….I crumpled up some paper and we pretended it was trash that goes in his play trash cans and that go with his garbage truck. He pours the “trash” out and then we count them as we put them in the trash can.
4. Learning shapes- I use the chalkboard to introduce a new shape, for example circles like the picture below. Then we draw lots of circles in different color chalk on the chalkboard and I have my little one say the word circle each time we draw one. We also sing the song “A circle is round. It has no end. That’s how long I want to be your friend.” (I learned this in Girls Scouts many years ago!)
Then we look around the playroom and find circles….lots of circles on his play BBQ!! He really likes doing this part!
5. Learning animals and their sounds- He got a set of farm animals and the tractor as a gift and loves them! He likes to line up the animals. Each time he picks one up I ask him what animal it is and what sound it makes.
What kinds of simple beginning pre-school activities do you do with your young toddlers? I’d love to hear more ideas! You can read other Mommy Monday posts here, here, here, and here for more activities. Or you can use the search bar on the right sidebar and put in Mommy Monday to see all my Mommy Monday posts. Hope you all have a great week!