Mommy Monday: 5 Exercises You Can Do With Your Toddler- Guest Post
We are back with a Mommy Monday post and are so fortunate to have our friend Autumn from Tailored Fitness back to share some great ideas for working out with your toddler.
Hi everyone! Autumn here from Tailored Fitness. I am happy to be back here on All In Good Twine to help out with the Mommy Monday series. Since my passion is fitness and setting a healthy example for my daughter, I want to share 5 exercises that you can do with your toddler. They will keep your toddler laughing and you will work up a sweat and show them how fun exercise can be.
1) Plank Tunnel – Get into a plank position either on your knees or toes. Make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders and that you are a straight line from head to knees or head to toes. As you hold this position, encourage your toddler to crawl under you through the tunnel your body creates.
2) Up/Down Push-ups – From the same plank position on either your knees or toes, perform a push up as you sing this little song to the tune of The Farmer in the dell. Your toddler will learn about up and down and they may even try some “push-ups” of their own.
When you’re up your up (hold the upper part of your push up)
When you’re down your down (lower to the bottom of your push up)
And when you’re only half way up (hold half way)
You’re neither up (press to top of push up)
Or down (lower to bottom of push up)
3) In/Out squat hops – Start with your feet together (in) and lower into a squat, then jump your feet to a wide squat (out) and repeat. As you do this, say the words “in” and “out” and encourage your toddler to try moving their feet in and out as well.
4) Slow/Fast Run – With feet shoulder width apart, moved your feet and arms as you run in place. Then alternate your speed between slow and fast, saying the words as you do. If your toddler is anything like mine, they will crack up laughing when you go fast.
5) Tickle Crunch – Lay on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Let your toddler sit on your stomach. Start into some basic crunches and each time you crunch up tickle your little ones tummy.
So there you go! 5 simple exercises you can do with your todder. Here’s an easy way to combine them. Put on some music and set a timer for 1 minute intervals. (The gymboss app works great.) Do each exercise for 1 minute and repeat the whole series 3 times for a 15 minute workout.
Now given that you are exercising with a toddler, your workout will likely not go as planned. Diaper changes, melt downs, or snack time may interrupt, but don’t be discouraged. The goal is just to get moving and have some fun with your little ones. So just pick back up where you left off when the interruption is over. Hopefully by the end your toddler will look like this….totally worn out!
Here a few more resources for ways to get active with your kids:
- If you have older kids: Check out our Fit Family board on Pinterest for more ideas
- If you love your baby carrier: Give these Ergobaby workouts a try to tackle your tummy, butt, and arms.
- It your baby is 3-9 months old: Try our 5 minute Postnatal Core Video you can do with your baby (open link with Chome or Safari)
If you try any of these activities out, I’d love to see. Snap a photo and send it to me on Facebook or Instagram (@mytailoredfitness). If you ever have questions about exercise or want to give Tailored Fitness a try (free 14 day trial) just drop me an email. Hope you have a happy and healthy week!
Love, love, love all of Autumn’s ideas for exercising with kiddos! I can’t wait to try them with my little guy! Make sure to follow Autumn on facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. She’s got great ideas on how to stay healthy and fit!