Valentine’s Day Countdown Paper Chain
How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways!
Can you believe that Valentine’s Day is just a few weeks away? This holiday is a special one for me and my family. Of course most know it as a day to celebrate love, but for us it is also my Grandma Mary’s birthday. She was the best grandma anyone could ever ask for and it was so fitting that she was born on Valentine’s Day! Love her so much and miss her everyday.
Today I have a Valentine’s Day craft to share with all of you to countdown to this special day. I remember making paper chains for Christmas with my brother when we were younger. So, I thought why not do the same for Valentine’s Day? This is not your ordinary paper chain…I have added a little something to make your loved one feel extra special! Inside each chain you write what you love most about the special person in your life. Starting February 1st, have your loved one cut off one chain each day and have them read what you love most about them! If you’ve never made a paper chain before here is how you make one:
- Scrapbook Paper
- Print out of 14 reasons why you love your loved one!
- Paper Cutter
- Glue Stick
- Quick Dry Craft Glue
- Heart Punch (optional)
- Tulle (optional)
1. In Microsoft Word, type 14 reasons why you love the person who you are making the paper chain for. I found it works best to insert a table in your word document (1 column by 14 rows). The height of each row in my table was 0.7 inches. Add a light gray border to your table (this will be your cutting guide when you go to cut them later). Print.
2. Using a paper cutter, cut the word document you printed using the gray border as your cutting guide. Make sure they fit within the scrapbook paper strips you cut above.
3. Cut your scrapbook paper into 1 1/8″ by 8 1/2″ strips for a total of 15 strips. (1 for each day until Valentine’s Day and 1 extra to attach the paper chain to).
4. Cut heart shapes using your heart punch and apply to some of the strips you cut above. This step is optional, but I think it makes the paper chain super cute!
5. Using a glue stick, glue the 14 reasons to the inside of each scrapbook paper strip.
6. Use quick dry glue to glue the first strip of paper together as shown below. The other 14 loops will attach to this loop. This is the only piece of the chain that you will glue the inside edges touching. Use a clothespin to keep the paper together while the glue dries.
7. Loop the next paper strip through the first one you created above as shown below, creating a chain. Notice you overlap the paper to glue different than the starter loop you made above. Again, use a clothespin to hold the paper together until dry.
8. Repeat until you have attached all 14 loops creating a chain.
9. Tie a bow with tulle or ribbon to the first loop and display! I hung mine from a wreath holder on a chalkboard with a quote from Elizabeth Barrett Browning. If you have kids it would be super cute to hang on the back of their bedroom doors! You could also make longer chains and use as Valentine’s Day decorations around your house.
Have a wonderful week and hope your loved one enjoys the countdown you make!