Festive Holiday Appetizer & Mocktail
Today I have a fun, festive holiday appetizer and mocktail to share with you. Both are super easy and great for your upcoming holiday parties! I’m linking up over at The Lovely Cupboard and Schue Love. Go check out other great recipes and cocktails, or if you have a blog link up and share your ideas!
This appetizer is perfect for Christmas. Serving the chicken salad on the apple makes a light, refreshing appetizer. They look like little holiday wreaths! The cranberries give a nice chewy bite and the almonds provide a nice crunch. The green onion adds flavor without being overpowering.
- (1) 12.5 oz canned chicken breast
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dried & sweet cranberries
- 1/8 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup raw sliced almonds
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- Assorted Crackers
Add canned chicken to mixing bowl. Use fork to shred chicken. Mix in remaining ingredients: mayo, cranberries, green onions and almonds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Core the apple, then slice the apple horizontally (as shown below). Spoon onto apples or crackers. Enjoy!
Tried & True Tips!
- Make the chicken salad ahead of time and store in the refrigerator.
- If you don’t have an apple corer (like me), you can use a knife or small round cookie cutter.
- Cut the apples right before serving to prevent them from turning brown.
- If you choose to serve over crackers, I recommend adding 1/4 cup chopped apple to the chicken salad. It adds great texture and flavor.
- If you are like me, I was a little hesitant about canned chicken. My husband uses it all the time, so I finally tried it and I actually really like it. It’s a real time saver. We store our canned chicken in the fridge, so it is cold when we use it.
This is the easiest mocktail you will ever make. The best part is that it’s for all ages and oh so festive for the holidays! Marissa and I have been making this simple beverage for years now and is great for any occasion.
- Cranberry juice
- Sugar (optional)
Add ice to your glass. Poor equal parts cranberry juice and sprite. Add a squeeze of lime. Stir. That’s it!
Now, to make your glass festive: Squeeze lime juice into a shallow bowl. Poor sugar in shallow bowl (large enough to fit the rim of your glass). Dip the rim of the glass in the lime juice, then dip into the bowl of sugar. Add a slice of lime to the edge of your glass. I think the sugar is perfect for Christmas time. It reminds me of snow! You could also add cranberries to the bottom of your glass, or if you make a large batch for a party you could float cranberries in your drink dispenser.
Hope you decide to try one of these recipes for your next event, or even for dinner one night! Have a wonderful day!